STUDENT PLACEMENT - CHILD & YOUTH WORKER, Nexus Youth Centre (Fall 2017)File: Student #17-014
Nexus Youth Services is a fully accredited, community based, counselling and resource service for young people ages 14 to 24 who live in the Region of Peel and who are feeling isolated from support systems.
NYS has two programs including our Nexus Youth Centre (NYC) which is a place where adolescents and young adults can come to learn to improve their social skills, to cope with the challenges of their daily lives, and to improve their job skills so that they can contribute to their communities and our Community Counselling service which offers individual and group counselling for adolescents and young adults.
Nexus Youth Centre (NYC), a program of Nexus Youth Services, is a dynamic youth drop-in environment, located on the second floor of the Mississauga Central Library. It provides services, resources and opportunities for under-resourced youth to achieve normal life goals and contribute to a strong community.
Nexus provides individual counselling services in both an office-based and community setting. In all aspects of service delivery, Nexus is committed to engaging youth and helping them to achieve their goals.
Under the direction of the Clinical Supervisor and/or his/her designate (Field Instructor), the Child and Youth Worker Student will participate in an active learning role as a member of a multi-disciplinary team and participate in the learning of a Youth Engagement Worker. Under the Direction of the Supervisor and/or his/her designate, the Student must ensure, to the extent possible, the safety and well-being of clients in a Drop-In Centre setting and be sensitive to client needs.
As the successful incumbent you will:
- Currently be pursuing the Child and Youth Worker Diploma (3 year);
- Have previous experience with working with youth;
- Possess experience in a drop-in setting, outreach, program planning and implementation within youth mental health;
- Possess knowledge of youth mental health issues and the have the ability to apply behavioural skills;
- Have above average interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written);
- Have the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Possess a proven ability to use tact and judgement in a respectful manner and the ability to apply these skills in a variety of settings;
- Have an ability to learn as a part of a multi-disciplinary team and the ability to work collaboratively under the guidance of a Supervisor and/or Field Instructor;
- Have basic computer literacy to operate computerized client care information system and word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and email software;
- Possess reliable transportation to fulfill commitment as a Student with the program.
Please note, this is an unpaid internship/placement that will commence in September 2017. All successful candidates must provide a satisfactory vulnerable sector police records check prior to the commencement of employment. In addition, all students must participate in a mandatory orientation to the program that will be held in August 2017.
At Nexus Youth Services we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building an increasingly diverse workforce. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply no later than April 30, 2017.
Please submit a cover letter and chronological resume, referring to File # Student 17-014 by selecting "Apply for this position" below. In your covering letter, please include the length of the placement that you require, the hours per week of your placement as well as your availability.
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
If selected to participate in the assessment and/or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used. If a selected applicant requests an accommodation, we shall consult with the applicant and provide or arrange for the provision of a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs.
Fields marked * are required
< back to all careers