PEER YOUTH WORKER
Temporary Part-time (4-8 hours/week)
Contract to March 31, 2020
Nexus Youth Services is a fully accredited, community based, counselling and resource service for young people ages 14 to 24 who live in the Region of Peel and who are feeling isolated from support systems. Nexus provides individual counselling services in both an office-based and community setting. In all aspects of service delivery, Nexus is committed to engaging youth and helping them to achieve their goals.
Nexus Youth Services works under the umbrella of Peel Children's Centre, an accredited children’s mental health centre that provides a continuum of high quality mental health services for children, youth and their families who are experiencing or may experience serious emotional difficulties.
Reporting to the Supervisor of Nexus Youth Services, you will be working for approximately 4-8 hours/week. The dates/times will be determined when you start, and take into account scheduling (e.g. school, work, volunteering and/or other commitments).
In the role of Peer Youth Worker, you will work to engage youth (ages 14-24) at Nexus Youth Centre, and throughout the Peel community. In partnership with the Youth Engagement Workers, you will create opportunities for youth to strengthen their leadership skills, and try out new roles as volunteers and participants at Nexus.
The hourly rate for this position is $14.00, plus 4% in lieu of vacation.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- Raise awareness and involvement of community youth in NYS programming; work within and outside the Mississauga Central Library to raise awareness about NYS programs and services and invite youth to visit the Nexus Youth Centre (NYC).
- Assist NYC staff in coordinating outreach opportunities, excursions for youth, and planning of regular drop-in centre events.
- Assist NYC staff in the day to day operations of NYC: greet and interact with youth, provide information about NYC programming, community resources, and provide peer counselling where appropriate.
- Assist youth with registering for NYS programs and services, and accessing community resources.
- Provide support to youth to assist them in achieving goals in relation to education, employment, housing, financial assistance, and/or independent living.
- Assist NYC staff in the planning and facilitation of weekly groups.
- In partnership with staff, develop youth-friendly materials to promote services at Nexus, learn about and maintain current knowledge base of relevant community resources and organizations.
- In partnership with NYS staff, gather resources and information to meet youth needs and interests.
- Develop a strong understanding of issues and barriers affecting youth and increase the awareness of issues facing youth within the community.
- Collaborate with and work in conjunction with NYS staff under the guidance of the Supervisor, Clinical Services.
- Participate as a team member in NYC drop-in environment, Nexus team meetings and programming.
- Support the implementation of Nexus’ social media strategy.
- Ensure agency and program policies and procedures and current or relevant legislation are understood and followed.
- Support the maintenance of NYC as a healthy, safe and youth-friendly environment.
- Perform general administrative duties such as basic database entry as required.
- As this is a peer position, applicants must be between the ages of 14 to 24.
- Previous work or volunteer experience with youth ages 14-24 is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated passion for working with youth.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and within a team approach.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Creative and enthusiastic with a proven ability to positively motivate peers.
- Demonstrated positive role-modelling behaviours.
- Comfortable with using Microsoft Office Suite and social media applications is considered an asset.
- Ability to work flexible hours, mostly evenings.
At Peel Children's Centre we value diversity in our workplace, our clientele and our communities. We are actively engaged in building an increasingly diverse workforce. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
If this position is of interest to you, please submit a cover letter and resume, referring to “File # 19-010 – Peer Youth Worker”, via email to email@example.com
Youth ages 14-24 years who are interested in applying for this position can get support on writing their resume by visiting the Nexus Youth Centre located on the second floor of the Mississauga Central Library.
We appreciate your interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Peel Children's Centre will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Please inform us if you require any accommodations during the hiring process
< back to all careers